Happy Birthday Android (2008-2016): It has been around eight years after the release of world biggest mobile platform. Yes, you are getting right that’s who Android is now turning eight years Since its release. In the span of eight years, Android releases around 14 version of Android from Android 1.0 to Android 7.0 (Nougat). Things really getting a change in this year Android getting improvement in feature, security, and makeover but overall goal remains the same “Openness”.
After the launch of Apple’s most advanced OS of all time Google has to make its importance in the mobile platform and they choose Android. As Apple follows strict API, no openness, and Compact OS while on the other hand, Android provide freedom for a developer to shows what’s they got and people can make their device by their own choice as Apple only allow certain changes.
Android is a mobile operating system (OS) based on the Linux kernel and currently developed by Google. With a user interface based on direct manipulation, Android is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers, with specialized user interfaces for televisions (Android TV), cars (Android Auto), and wrist watches (Android Wear).
Google started Android Project in 2003 by Android, Inc., while Google Published Android in 2005,
During the initial release Android was released in Beta version as Astro Boy and Bender with Alphabetically order A and B and after that Public version include Alpha and Beta as Android 1.0 and Android 1.1 and rest is history
Android was first to introduce on 23 September 2008 with Android 1.0 Since then there over 14 Version of Android are here which are mentioned below.
- Android 1.0 (23 September 2008)
- Android 1.1 (9 February 2009)
- Android 1.5 Cupcake (27 April 2009)
- Android 1.6 Donut (15 September 2009)
- Android 2.0 Eclair (26 October 2009)
- Android 2.2 Froyo (20 May 2010)
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread (6 December 2010)
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb (22 February 2011)
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (18 October 2011)
- Android 4.1-4.3 Jelly Bean (9 July 2012)
- Android 4.4 Kitkat (31 October 2013)
- Android 5.0 Lollipop (12 November 2014)
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow (5 October 2015)
- Android 7.0 Nougat (22 August 2016)
Google also feature software for their personal device called as Nexus which now changed to Pixel. Only about 2 weeks are left for Pixel introduction to world and Android may also introduce Android 7.1 Version of Nougat so stay tuned and Happy Birthday Android.